We asked Master Sommelier Cameron Douglas to share his favourites with us and we must say, the list makes for some very nice reading.
View this post on Instagram
- Rabbit Ranch Pinot Noir 2019, Central Otago – A noticeable concentration of red berry aromas with red and purple cherry, raspberry and plum. Aromas of light brown baking spices and mild toasty barrel moments add complexity depth.
- Rockburn Pinot Noir 2020, Central Otago – Great colour, concentration of aromas and complexity with an enticing mix of ripe berries, spices of wood and quiet savoury core of dried herb, mineral, place and time. Follow through on the palate is seamless with flavours of raspberry and red apple, dark cherry and dried herbs. Oak flavours layer in quickly with a mix of brown spice, an abundance of fine grained tannins then acidity adds youth and freshness.
- Pegasus Bay Pinot Noir 2019, Waipara Valley, North Canterbury – Ripe, concentrated, varietal and complex bouquet with aromas of boysenberry, plum and dark cherry. Aromas of of new and seasoned barrel with toasty, nut and dark spices combination layering in complexity, shape and form. Youthful, vibrant and promising.
- The Boneline Waimanu Pinot Noir 2019, Wairarapa, North Canterbury – Fantastic bouquet with aromas of mineral and sense of place first, then red berry fruits of cherry and red plum, light delicate sweetness of barrel then a lifted rose scent showcases complexity and charm. On the palate – youthful with plenty of tension and poise, but showing an underlying core of varietal light red fruit flavours, fine chalky textured tannins, decent acid line and fine savoury dried herb moments.
- Church Road Grand Reserve Pinot Noir 2019, Central Otago – Totally inviting bouquet of Pinot with aromas of wild raspberry and oak seasoning, dark cherry and dusty, stony soils, a moderate oak toasty barrel aromas and an overall youthful and vibrant nose. On the palate – tense and youthful, firm and dry, varietal, fruity and textured.
- Ostler Estate Pinot Noir 2020, Waitaki Valley, North Otago – A lovely wine with a balance of complexity and charm, length and youthful charm. Vibrant pink and purple hues lead to aromas of equal vibrato with red fruit scents of crushed raspberry, boysenberry and fresh cherry.
- Quartz Reef Bendigo Estate ‘Otto’ Pinot Noir 2017, Central Otago – Complex, varietal and pure. Aromas of dark cherry and baking spices, quite a deep mineral and silty soil layer, some wood smoke and vanilla, forest flowers and soft wild thyme and dried herb moments. Firm textures from fruit and wood tannins, medium+ acidity and a core of varietal red berry fruit flavours reflecting the bouquet.
- Pyramid Valley Pinot Noir 2019, North Canterbury – A complex and mineral laden wine with aromas limestone and white clay, ripe fruit with flavours of sweet cherry and raspberry then fine French oak with vanilla and kitchen spices and warm savoury and dried herb complexities. Firm, tense, youthful and dry with flavours of Autumn and old roses, forest berries and natural autolysis through the palate.