Our kidneys are responsible for the essential task of clearing toxins from our blood and regulating blood pressure. This amazing organ control’s our body’s chemical balance, keeping our bones healthy and helping to make red blood cells.
A staggering 8 to 10% of the population worldwide is affected by chronic kidney disease, with millions dying each year due to lack of affordable treatment. Each year World Kidney Day is held in March to raise awareness of the importance of these important organs for our overall health.
8 ways to maintain kidney health
- Kidneys work constantly to keep the blood filtered, ensuring it is clean. Consuming water throughout the day will support the kidneys in doing this, which in turn helps to keep the cells of your hair, skin and nails healthy.
- Avoid consuming sugary drinks or soft drinks. Opt for water to rehydrate; water can help detoxify kidneys and avoid the onset of chronic kidney damage.
- Exercise regularly to help rid your kidneys of toxins. This also helps keep blood pressure down, which studies show can reduce inflammation.
- Control the use of over-the-counter painkillers such as ibuprofen, and also prescription painkillers. These can shrink blood vessels in the kidneys.
- Enjoy a diet rich in fibre. High fibre foods have been shown to improve kidney health by helping to remove harmful toxins from the body and boost kidney function.
- Try to consume foods that promote kidney health, such as apples, extra virgin olive oil, cauliflower and strawberries. Packed full of antioxidants, these foods exhibit anti-inflammatory properties and phytochemicals that can protect kidneys from damage.
- Get regular check ups with your General Practitioner. Results from testing your urine for a protein called albumin, will indicate how well our kidneys are functioning.
- Keep your urinary tract healthy. Around one in two women and one in 20 men will get a urinary tract infection in their lifetime. You can reduce the risk of infection by avoid constipation and treating any infection such as thrush immediately.