Fashion is supposed to be fun, and one of the quickest ways to put a damper on getting dressed in the morning is by spending too much time worrying about so-called dos and don’ts of the sartorial world. Rules really are made to be broken where your wardrobe is concerned, so take a look at our gallery below and discover the five fashion rules you should be breaking.
1. There used to be a rule that anything sparkly should be kept hidden inside your wardrobe until the sun goes down but this is a fashion rule you should be breaking, stat. Add a hint of sparkle is a quick way to lift block colours and bring ordinary staples to life.
2. Want to master understated sequins? Pair with your favourite fashion-forward sneakers and you’re good to step out into broad daylight!
3. Anyone who has thrown on their trusty denim jacket with favourite jeans knows this is one rule that should be forgotten entirely. Double denim is in.
3. We’re not sure where this old-fashioned sartorial rule came from, but we’ll admit it’s one we’ve been breaking for some time now. If it’s been spotted on the catwalk (Dior pictured) then it’s got to be good for our wardrobes, right?
4. Navy and blue partnered together seems to feature on the catwalk time and time again. You’ve definitely got the green light to break this one.
5. Some days just call for a loud approach where your outfit is concerned and where’s the fun in getting dressed in the morning if you can’t mix and match prints?
6. Get acquainted with mixing up prints by playing with printed accessories or a bold block colour in a clashing shade.
7. Forget about navy and black, pairing pink and red together was once considered the ultimate fashion sin. Fortunately those days are well and truly behind us.
8. If you’re looking for an eye-catching colour combo to embrace this season, hot pink and fire engine red ticks all the boxes.