How do you change the habits of a lifetime? Start small, with a change you can incorporate into your daily life to create a new habit that is good for you, and build on that. Remember, it won’t be easy – but with the right plan, you’ll be amazed how far you can go. Here are our seven ways to create change.
• Make a clear, specific plan with a starting date and realistic goals.
• Surround yourself with people who will encourage you. If you can, think of your friends and family as an audience. Put the ones with a negative influence way back in the back row in terms of the time you give them.
• Reconnect with the special people with whom you have lost touch. Grow your support base.
• Get used to making changes by, for example, taking a different route to work or sitting in a different chair at the table. Do this often and in any way you can.
• Express more vulnerability to your closest loved ones. Enlist them to help with the change you want to put in place and say why it is important to you.
• Compliment people when they deserve it. Too often too much is left unsaid. Besides, it feels good, and it might just come back your way.
• Phone, don’t text, to communicate with your key people. Hear their voices and let them hear yours.