It’s not something you probably think much about, but your liver is a key player in your body’s digestive system. Everything you eat or drink, including medicine, passes through it. You need to treat it right so it can stay healthy and do its job. We take a look at 5 easy ways to promote liver health.
Blood from the digestive system must first filter through the liver before it travels anywhere else in the body, so one of its main roles is to remove toxins, process nutrients and help regulates metabolism. It also converts carbohydrates into glucose for energy, produces hormones and breaks down fats.
Liver damage can lead to the build up of fat in your liver (fatty liver), inflammation or swelling of your liver (alcohol-related hepatitis), and/or scarring of your liver (cirrhosis).
5 easy ways to promote liver health
There are many things that can tax the liver including excess fat, alcohol and infections. If you are finding yourself overindulging in excess food and drink this season, here are three things you can do to help your liver.
- Try a milk thistle supplement; this herbal supplement may help protect liver cells and aids normal liver function.
- Load up on leafy greens, beetroot and carrot; your liver will love you for it.
- Have a lymphatic massage: this gentle massage helps to speed up the removal of waste.
- Limit the amount of alcohol you drink. Alcohol can damage or destroy liver cells. For people with liver disease, even a small amount of alcohol can make the disease worse.
- Manage your medication: When medicines are taken incorrectly – by taking too much or the wrong type or by mixing – the liver can be harmed. Talk to a doctor or pharmacist often about the medicines you are taking.