Who is the Hollywood mega-fan of Grand Designs? 10 things you never knew about TVâ€™s favourite home show.
Presented by designer and writer Kevin McCloud, the British television series Grand Designs, each episode, follows different people who have set out to pursue their vision of a dream home by building it themselves.
We take a look at some interesting facts about this innovative show:
- Each episode of Grand Designs takes at least a year to film. However, one build took 10 years.
- Presenter Kevin McCloud has never seen a fully finished episode as he refuses to watch himself on TV.
- McCloud often improvises his famous monologues on the day of filming.
- He was a member of the famous Cambridge Footlights drama society alongside Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry.
- He is a trained building historian and works part-time for the Society of the Protection of Ancient Buildings. He founded his own architectural consultancy HAB in 2007 (the initials stand for Happiness, Architecture, Beauty).
- 2019 will see the 20th anniversary of the inaugural episode of Grand Designs.
- McCloud was diagnosed with asthma at age 16 and is about to present the show’s first ‘healthy house’.
- In Germany the show is called Der Weg Zum Traumhaus, which translates to The Road To A Dream House.
- McCloud has only ever visited Ikea once. He bought a rug.
- Meryl Streep is a self-confessed Grand Designs â€śaddictâ€ť.