More than 50% of New Zealanders who seek medical treatment locally diagnose themselves with fatigue, research by Adrenal Fatigue NZ found. Additionally, 60% of Americans feel they are under extreme stress every week and 90% of respondents in the European Union believe stress is a major cause of illness.
Your brain can only correct the balance of cortisol with your body’s support. Avoid fatigue by following these 10 steps:
- Rest as much as possible, especially when you feel tired. It’s better to have a slight sleep in one morning if you feel particularly exhausted than get up early and go to the gym.
- Get 8-10 hours sleep a night and maintain a regular sleep cycle. While the amount of sleep a person needs varies, this is a good general guideline to follow.
- Avoid staying up late – ideally, be in bed before 10pm. This doesn’t mean you have to go to sleep straight away – read a book or try some light meditation if you aren’t at the sleep stage. Stay away from technology once you’re under the covers, though – looking at screens will only worsen things.
- Laugh and do something fun every day – because laughter really is the best medicine.
- Minimise work and relationship stresses. If something or someone is troubling you, address the issue so you can move past it.
- Eat on a regular food cycle, and reduce your caffeine and processed sugar intake. If you do drink coffee, limit it to one cup a day and avoid drinking it after 2pm.
- Exercise often – moderate exercise and walking can help, so incorporate 15-30 minutes into your day where possible.
- Avoid negative people and self-talk. If someone is dragging you down and doesn’t add anything positive to your life, say goodbye.
- Take time out for yourself only and choose to do something you find relaxing. This could be anything – going for a quiet walk outside, having a hot bath, or watching your favourite TV show. The important thing is getting some ‘you’ time.
- Choose healthy food and supplements, Zinc, astragalus, magnesium, ashwagandha, fish oil, withania, and vitamins B, C and D3 all fight to combat fatigue.
Balance it out
Good Health Adrenal Balance contains two unique formulas in the one box: one for daytime and one for night-time. Naturally formulated to help your body cope much better during times of stress, fatigue and mental exhaustion, you can think of Adrenal Balance as a natural programme to help get your life back on track. It’s ideal for those suffering from burnout. Visit goodhealth.co.nz.