Please create an account
or Log in to subscribe


Subscribe to our RSS feeds Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Subscribe to our RSS feeds Watch us on Youtube View us on Instagram

19 dead in terrorist attack on museum in Tunisia

Police officers stand outside parliament in Tunis March 18, 2015. Gunmen attacked Tunisia's national museum near its parliament on Wednesday, killing at least 19 tourists and taking others hostage inside the building, the government said

One Australian among those dead in terrorist attack at Tunisian museum

19 dead in terrorist attack on museum in Tunisia

Nineteen people have been killed in a terrorist attack on the Bardo national museum in Tunisia, including one Australian.

It is believed that two of the three gunmen, who wore military uniforms and stormed the museum, holding tourists hostage in the museum for three hours, have also been shot dead.

The dead included 17 foreigners, including people from Italy, France, Poland and Spain.

People look at a bus damaged by an attack by gunmen on Tunisia's national museum, in Tunis .

People look at a bus damaged by an attack by gunmen on Tunisia’s national museum, in Tunis .

So far no terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the attack.

However the European Union Foreign Policy Chief Federica Mogherini said Islamic State militants were behind the attack. Tunisia neighbours Libya, which has a number of active IS members.

The Prime Minister of Tunisia has called the attack a cowardly assault targeting the economy.

Relief that the siege was over was tinged with sadness, disbelief and dismay at the loss of life in Tunisia,

“This is a black day for Tunisia,” a Karim Ben Sa’a, a manager in the tourism industry told reporters.

“We are very sad for these tourists. They visit our country and it is so, so, sad to see them die. Our hearts are black.”

Share on Facebook Pin on Pinterest Share by Email

Post a Comment

© MiNDFOOD 2013. All Rights Reserved

Web Design Sydney