Please create an account
or Log in to subscribe


Subscribe to our RSS feeds Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Subscribe to our RSS feeds Watch us on Youtube View us on Instagram

Newborn dies after contracted cold sore virus

A distressed couple have farewelled their newborn daughter after she contracted the cold sore virus.

Newborn dies after contracted cold sore virus

Born on November 1, Eloise Lampton was just a few days old when she contracted the herpes virus at Mackay Hospital in Queensland.

Originally thinking she had feeding problems, the young couple rushed Eloise to Brisbane’s Mater Hospital after the newborn lost a kilogram in one week. Soon after, she was diagnosed with the herpes simplex virus.

On November 25 at just 24 days of age, Eloise died after developing a staph infection while on life support.

“Everyday we’d go in there and it was devastating to see her like that. It was heartbreaking. She was fully sedated but we’d touch her and she’d try and hold our hand. We’d have to put lip balm on her lips and she’d move them,” Ms Pugh told Daily Mail Australia.

“I was shocked. I was devastated to know she was born healthy and then this happened. They (doctors) thought it could have come from me, but I didn’t test positive to the disease. It was passed on through a cold sore. You have to be in contact — kissed or touched. We didn’t have any visitors at hospital. It could have been from anyone.”

The parents, who have three other children, have warned others of the dangers associated with cold sores, stressing the importance of washing hands and personal hygiene.

Share on Facebook Pin on Pinterest Share by Email

Post a Comment

© MiNDFOOD 2013. All Rights Reserved

Web Design Sydney